Wednesday, May 22, 2013

bike to hawk camp

Ryan and I get out of the city for adventures often.  Sometimes, however, I just can't quite keep up.  It's these times when he grabs a friend, and heads out on a boy adventure.  

His latest adventure was biking into Hawk Camp, a small campsite in the Marin Headlands.  Although, this site is easily accessible by hiking, biking is a bit beyond my abilities.  Since, there must be some interest in a bike to camp trip, I asked Ryan to share his experience.  

Here's what he had to say about his bike trip:


I love living in San Francisco.  I love it because across the street is my grocery store, one block over is the post office, two more blocks and you're at the historic Castro Theatre.  I can walk to dozens of incredible restaurants and great bars are just a stones throw away.  You get the idea… The one thing I’ve struggled with urban living is my insatiable appetite for trails and parks.  (Kate thinks I have a problem, but hey, there are worse things to be addicted to!)  So, I’m always on the look out for new outdoor adventures that I can access without a car.  In fact, I’m so into it, a good buddy and I turned this concept into an actual thing, we call it Transit & Trails.  (Thanks OSC for helping us make this a reality.)



Where I really get excited is when I can get out, not just for a trail run or ride, but to a local campground for an overnight adventure.  On a recent Friday, I pinged a buddy and asked him to join me on a little 18hr adventure.  Starting work a bit early on Friday, meant we were able to leave a bit early to start our adventure.  

First stop for any camping adventure is always, yeah, you got it, Papalote.  This is hands down, the best burrito place in the city.  USA today raves that “it may be the best salsa the world has ever known."  This is the truth.


Next stop, Golden Gate Park for a quick round of frisbee golf.  This is a super fun way to spend a few hours without spending a cent.  With some overnight gear packed, and burritos and beers in tow, we made our way north through the Presidio, over the Golden Gate bridge and into the Marin Headlands.  Within 30 minutes we were catching the sunset from the top of Hawk Hill.  


Frisbee in the park

At this point, we had to take a moment and just remind ourselves how lucky we are to call this place home!  Seriously, we are in the middle of a national park, looking over the GG bridge, watching the sun set, and still within a 45 minute bike ride from home. 


Down the back side of Hawk Hill, out to Rodeo beach, up the Miwok trail to the Bobcat trail and we were at my favorite little corner of the Bay Area, Hawk Camp!  Ok the road/mountain bike ride up Miwok with our camping gear was a bit of an adventure, as my buddy would attest to, but within an hour or so we were digging into our burritos, sipping a cold one, telling stories, and enjoying the spectacular views.  Before long stars were starting to sprinkle the sky, coyotes were yipping, and we felt a million miles from anywhere!




We woke to the sun filtering through the trees as it rose over the Bay.  After breaking down camp, we went on a hike around the headlands.  My buddy had to take off, but I did a short trail run, then biked back to the city, arriving home at noon!  So amazing to be able to pack so much into the morning, and then still have the entire day for city fun.


Not up for a big biking adventure?  Don’t fret, there is a super simple way to get to Hawk camp from SF without a car or a bike.   Just take the ferry or bus and a short 2-3 mile hike, see full details on this T&T adventure

Cost
Burritos: $8.00
PBRs: $5.00
Camping: Free!

Total: $13.00/person


How to get there


No comments:

Post a Comment