Friday, May 17, 2013

groupie life

Last weekend I turned into a groupie.

It all started when I went to a small show, hosted by KC Turner, at an apartment in Glen Park.  Nat Keefe, usually rocking out with his band Hot Buttered Rum, was playing a mellow, acoustic set with the T Sisters.  


The sisters and Nat have performed together before at the Nat Keefe Concert Carnival, so I was thrilled for a reunion show.  This time they were joined by bass player Joe Kyle, of the Waybacks.  The band jokingly referred to themselves as The Co-eds.

The T Sisters write their own music.  They focus on a folksy, soulful, a capella sound.  I was amazed at how authentically vintage it sounded.  If you're into the "O Brother, Where Art Thou" soundtrack, you would be into this.

Mesmerized would be an understatement.  I could have listened to this group play all night.  Near the end of the performance, Erika sang a haunting rendition of Nat's song, "Sleeping with the Guru."  It's been stuck in my head ever since.  



After the Glen Park show, I was graciously invited to accompany the group to a show in Groveland, CA, right outside of Yosemite.  Rob and Regina, owners of the Mountain Sage outdoor music venue hosted the event.  The Mountain Sage offers a summer line-up, but in the off season, the couple generously open up their home to artists to keep the music going. 


Not only did I get a second night of awesome music, but I was also treated to great company, delicious food, and an afternoon in Yosemite's high country.







Groupie life's not so bad.

Side note: The T Sisters will be playing a variety show at the Chthonic Theatre, in Oakland, on May 31st.  If you like fun and good music, I highly recommend this event.  The show, which is a community event, accepts donations only.  

(Photo via T-Sisters Facebook page and video via Nat Keefe Youtube page)

No comments:

Post a Comment