Sunday, May 19, 2013

going yellow

For the longest time my kitchen, and all my kitchen gadgetry, have been light blue with red accents.  I love the 1950s feel of this color combination, but I'm ready for a change.  



I've decided to go yellow and gray.  I know that this is a pretty trendy choice at the moment, but I just can't get enough of yellow.  Plus, gray is such a nice tribute to my favorite element of San Francisco: the fog.

The first step was trading in my black/brown Ikea kitchen table for a white and yellow vintage number. Ryan has been itching to get a new desk.  Converting his old desk to our new kitchen table was the perfect solution.  


New desk
Old desk
After scouring Craigslist, I finally found a desk that fit my requirements: white, small, and more storage.  Then, as an added bonus, the seller was willing to deliver.  
Post desk delivery, I was off to Cliff's for supplies.  I needed a paint brush, and yellow and white paint.  Then it was back home to get started.  




My current background noise, I'm embarrassed to say, is Dawson's Creek.  I never watched it in its original airing, so I thought I'd give it a try.  Plus, I'm running out of shows available for instant streaming.  It's not great, but it fills the silence.  

After I threw down the drop cloth and watched Dawson and Joey's first kiss, it was time to get started.  This project was pretty straight forward: paint over the peeling sage green paint.








With my sunny new kitchen table, my black/brown Ikea chairs looked out of place.  So, it was time to paint those as well.  In order to get a good coat on the chairs, they needed to be sanded.  Just for good measure, I added a small yellow detail.







Then, just because I couldn't stop, I painted my clock yellow too.  





Kind of loving all this yellow.  Next step: paint the walls gray.

Desk: $60.00
Paintbrush: $3.99
Yellow paint: $12.49
White paint: $12.49

Total: $88.97

1 comment: