Tuesday, March 5, 2013

focus on fitness

I have oh, so many goals for the year 2013, and I feel like I'm off to a slow start.

One of my goals is focusing more on my fitness routine, as in, make fitness a more steadfast part of my week.  For me, this means running three times a week and going to yoga twice a week.

Last year I trained for the Oakland 1/2 marathon, which I ran with my dad and Ryan.  Training for this event was hard work and time consuming, but I was working towards a mutual goal.  Being able to trade stories about our training, and even being able to do some runs together, was great motivation.  

Oakland 1/2 finishers
Lech Naumovich Photography

While preparing for the half, I felt phenomenal.  But, post race, my body felt wrecked.  I was hobbling about with knee and foot pain for months after.  Even though I can remember the euphoria of those longer runs, and sometimes shorter runs, I'm having a difficult getting back out there.  I'm so used to not including running as part of my weekly routine, that it's difficult to make space for it once again.

I decided I needed to light a fire under me.  I started looking into various 10Ks in the Bay Area.  Let's face it, it will be a lot easier to get out there and run if I have a purpose.  I'm so needing a scary deadline at the moment.

I'm finding that there are surprisingly few 10Ks to choose from, especially for those of us that would like to/need to access the race by public transit.

My thought on how to fix this lack-of-organized-runs problem?  Invite friends to participate in our own 10k on a date set by us.  I'll still have that carrot dangling in front of me, but with no cost, no crowds, and no transportation issues.  Added bonus: a reason to spend time with those I care about.

If an unofficial 10k looming on the horizon isn't motivation enough, maybe this new armband will be.


After all, I'll need to carry my phone with me in order to use Strava.  The most amazing running app, that helps you track your routes and milage.  Just more motivation.  

Whatever I need to get me out there.

What motivates you?

No comments:

Post a Comment