Saturday, March 16, 2013

put your phone away


There has been a recent upsurge in violent crimes in the Castro, our neighborhood.  So far, most of the victims were either on their phones at the time of attack, or had just put their phones away.  

The other day Ryan and I were walking down 20th Street in the Mission, discussing this upswing in crime.  Just moments later, we witnessed an attempted mugging.  The victim was standing on a corner, looking at his phone.  A car full of men pulled up, one man jumped out and attempted to pull a cell phone out of the victim's hand.  When they saw us approaching, the struggle ended and the car sped away.  

Afterwards, we became aware of how many people are on their phones and not paying attention to their surroundings.  You're looking at maps, you're checking email while waiting for a friend, texting an ETA, or just wasting time.  I know I'm guilty of this, god forbid I have just two minutes of staring into space while I wait for the bus or a friend.  Being witness to an attempted mugging was a good wake-up call.  If I'm alone, my phone will be away.

Stay safe out there, and put your phone away too.

(Photo via TechnoBuffalo)

No comments:

Post a Comment