Friday, February 8, 2013

20 books

As I mentioned in my last post, because of my ferry commute, I'm able to put my feet up and have dedicated reading time.  I haven't read this much since I was an English in college.  Last year I powered through 16  books, which may not sound like a lot, but it's about 14 more than I normally get to.

My list included:


I've been trying to read a variety of genres.  From teen fiction to memoir.  I was pretty satisfied with all my reads.  I laughed hysterically when Tina Fey described her typical pedicure experience, and cried for twin brothers as they learned harsh lessons.  I learned the gritty details of the Chicago World's Fair and rooted for a Peeta and Katniss hook-up.  The only book I didn't love was The Handmaid's Tale.  I just found it to be tedious.

This year my goal is to read 20 books.  A friend is shooting for 52, one a week.  That is a bit lofty for me.  I definitely want to feel successful.  Although, I am going to check out her reading list for ideas.

So far I've gotten through:

Where'd You Go Bernadette


This was a quick read, but to get the most out of it, I felt like you needed to be pretty familiar with Seattle, and all of it's quirks.  Which, fortunately, I am.  

I'm currently reading The Marriage Plot.


This is not at all what I thought it was going to be.  A recent college grad trying to find herself while working on her thesis centered around Victorian Literature and their love of marriage plots.  It's dense, but engaging.

With two books down, I definitely think I can accomplish my 20 book goal.

Any recommendations?

3 comments:

  1. I gave up on The Marriage Plot after about 100 pages. See the list that I posted. If you have any interest, I can loan you my Kindle for an indefinite amount of time since I NEVER use it anymore (I use my tablet now). Then you can have all my books for freebie!!!

    Defo need to read 'Me Before You' and 'Gone Girl'. Friend tells me that 'End of Your Life Book Club' is good as well. I will let you know on the last one.

    So excited you are blogging! Nerdgirls unite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nerdgirl. Did you see I linked to your page! I do a lot of reading on my iPad, but would love to test drive the kindle, as well as read all the books you've already downloaded.

    Gone Girl was awesome, but not super thrilled with the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND added bonus. I think that you and I have pretty much the same taste in books so you will save a bundle by using my Kindle since I spend a bundle buying Kindle books. :)

    ReplyDelete