Wednesday, February 13, 2013

for shame!


I'm a reusable bag junkie.  I have dozens.  I have grocery bags, produce bags, and bags I take with me when I go shopping. 

The other day I stopped past Mollie Stones to pick up some dinner items on my way home from work.  Because I was coming straight from work, I didn't have my reusable grocery bags with me.  When it was my turn, the cashier asked if I needed a bag.  I hung my head in shame, mumbled that I did in fact need a bag, then looked around to see if anyone was getting ready to slap a scarlet W across my chest for being such a blatant waster.  I wanted to shout out, "I use them for cat litter!" But, instead I grabbed my paper bag, and slid out of Mollie's, careful to avoid eye contact.

I've always felt a sense of wrong-doing when I don't have my reusables with me, but now that San Francisco has banned plastic bags, and charges $.10 per paper bag, it feels even more shameful.  I love the new ten cent ordinance.  I feel like San Francisco is moving in the right direction.  Now, if we could only follow in the footsteps of Concord, Massachusetts, and ban single use plastic water bottles, the biggest waste offender.


Lesson learned: always keep at least one reusable bag in my purse.

1 comment:

  1. great post! this makes me think of Chris Jordan's amazing photos from his Midway project - http://www.chrisjordan.com/gallery/midway/#CF000313%2018x24

    ReplyDelete