Thursday, February 7, 2013

carless commuting

I was surprised to find that the most challenging part of carless commuting wasn't selling my car and getting used to a new way of life, but getting outsiders on board.

I was pretty much sold after one glorious ferry ride across the San Francisco Bay.  I now have dedicated reading time built into my day.  It's incredible.  I arrive to work and come home feeling happy and relaxed, rather than consumed with road rage.  

And the views.  Holy cow.  I am treated to views that people travel across the world to see.



Convincing others that my new carless life was a good idea was an entirely different story.  Colleagues were actually taking bets on how long I would last.  Our custodian regularly asks me if I have a car yet, unable to believe that I don't by choice.  

If getting people to believe that I enjoy commuting by train and ferry was hard, getting work to support me in my endeavor has been even more challenging.  I am working with our school to incentivize green alternatives to driving.  They encourage students to bike, walk, and carpool.  I would like to extend this encouragement to the staff.  There are great programs out there that financially incentivize public transportation.  I am currently advocating for Commuter Checks: a fantastic program that pulls out money pre-taxed from paychecks to be used for alternative transportation.  Another option, is the Bike Commuter Benefit, a program which rewards people for carbon free commuting.  With so much red tape to get through when dealing with public education, this may be a process.  But, I think we're getting there.  

Can we also address for a minute how amazing San Fran Livin' is.  Genius.  



No comments:

Post a Comment