Friday, February 15, 2013

spring is in the air

I moved to the Bay Area in 2005.  After seven years, I still have not adjusted to Bay Area seasons.  I'm used to hot summers, crisp autumns, cold, snowy winters, and cool, wet springs.  In San Francisco, however, summer is downright frigid, autumn is hot, winter is mild, and spring is a total crap shoot.  I find that around times when seasonal change should be coming, I become anxious. My body is craving change, but nothing happens.  I still get unnecessarily bundled up for winter, and, although this happens more rarely, dress inappropriately for those ridiculously cold summer nights.  

There has been one constant, however.  Every year, since I have moved here, there has always been one rejuvenating and energizing week in February.  The sun shines, the air warms, the birds chirp, people don t-shirts and sun dresses.  And, best of all, the trees begin to bloom.  It is by far, my favorite week of the year.  

That time is now.  It seems as though the blossoms appeared on the trees overnight.   Yesterday, I actually felt hot!  Today it's supposed to 70 degrees.  Other than the natural beauty, I think this time appeals to me, because it is the one time of year where it feels like change is happening.  There is a shift, and suddenly, San Franciscan's seem more neighborly, and summer feels like it is just around the corner.  



No comments:

Post a Comment