Monday, April 15, 2013

it's nice out...kind of

A few weeks ago, I was walking through the Mission on one of those sunny-but-the-fog-is-coming-for-us kind of days.  People were really trying to force the quasi-nice weather.  At one point, I over heard a couple deliberating whether or not they would sit outside for brunch.  The woman, in favor of sitting outside, said, "it's nice out...kind of."

I thought it was so funny, and so completely accurately described San Francisco weather.

That said, this weekend Sunday Streets hit the Mission.  For all those that don't know, this is a Bicycle Coalition sponsored event.  They shut down streets to cars, and people come out in droves to walk, scoot, bike, and even rollerblade.  There were plenty of activities at yesterday's event, including free yoga, hoola hooping, and make your own terrarium, just to name a few.

Sunday Streets shuts down 24th St. in the Mission

Now, when I looked outside, it was a gloriously sunny day.  I left the house in a t-shirt and light pullover.  The second I stepped outside I knew I made the wrong choice.  It was nice out...kind of.  The sun was dazzling, but it was seriously windy.  I went back in for more layers, and was glad I did.

For the rest of the day the sounds of signs, booths, and even kids on wheels crashing to the ground could be heard.  I walked blindly through the Mission as the wind whipped my hair in front of my eyes.

Was Sunday Streets fun?  I'm not sure, I was too busy battling the wind to notice.

Today was another gorgeous day...kind of.  After work, I geared up for a run. (Still training for my 10k!)  It was sunny, and warmish.  As soon, as I got out there I knew I was in for a serious challenge.  I was running straight into gale force winds.  Sand was whipping up off the trail into my mouth and eyes.  Running into the wind was basically like doing a slow army crawl.  I think I saw a few snails pass me up.

The return trip was another story.  I felt like Sonic the Hedgehog with the wind at my back.  I'm pretty sure I ran a 3 minute mile.

Pretty, but w-i-n-d-y!

Right now, I'm looking forward to when it's nice out...for real.

1 comment:

  1. It's nice out - kind of, here too. Really sunny, really cold.

    ReplyDelete