Friday, March 21, 2014

library love

I've been doing  a lot of reading on my iPad lately, and at $10 a pop, book cost can really add up. Ryan had a great idea to see what the library offered in terms of electronic books.


In order to get everything set up, you have to make a trip to your local branch. I gathered up my iPad and walked the six blocks down to the Eureka Valley/Harvey Milk Branch. The librarians were very helpful. It turns out that renting books on the iPad is not as simple as it should be. I had to download five different apps in order to get started. Once everything is downloaded, information logged in, it is a breeze. Just search and click check out, then the book is yours for the next 21 days. Three days before the due date, the app will theoretically give you a warning, at which point it is possible to renew. Although, I never got this notice, and my book was deleted. Nuts. 


To get started, you need the following apps, in addition to a library card:


Yes, you really do need all of these. OverDrive is the library's search engine. The other apps are needed for the actual reading.

Ryan and I also used the library to check out The Sopranos.

Clearly the library is amazing.

(Photo via sfpl.org)

2 comments:

  1. I still love the paper! Library good for that too. So you finally got to see the last Soprano!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so excited we are using our local library. important to support them and save some $$ at the same time!

    ReplyDelete