Sunday, January 5, 2014

goals

Like most people, I think of the new year as a time to reevaluate my life.  Rather than resolutions, which are bound to be broken, I like to have goals.  Goals are just more attainable, not to mention more motivating.  

Let's see how I fared in 2013:

1.  Cook more and eat locally
Although I did quite a bit of cooking in 2013, I would view this goal as a fail.  Cooking twice a week, maybe, doesn't seem like success to me.  Also, I only went to the Farmer's Market once.  I suck.

2.  Read 20 books
Ack, I only read 19.  Apparently my summer slacking put me behind.  Check out all the books I read here and here.

3.  Travel somewhere new
Huzzah, success!  If I were going to succeed at a goal, this is definitely the best one to choose.  Not only did I travel to one new place, I actually travelled to two new places.  Hurrah for me.  This year, Ryan and I did a summer vacation in Baja, and then honeymooned in New Zealand.  

Kayaking in Baja

Hiking the Milford Track in New Zealand

4.  Blog once per week
Although I didn't quite accomplish this, ringing in at 46 blog posts in 2013 puts me pretty darn close.

5.  Clean out the apartment by making two Goodwill runs and make a few extra bucks at a stoop sale
Back to feeling like a winner.  Ryan and I did in fact de-clutter our apartment by donating items to our local charity, and selling a few at the world's lamest stoop sale.  Lame as it was, we still made $45, which we added to the date-night spare change jar.  Wahoo.


6.  Give Blood
I did this!  The Tiburon Fire Station has a biannual blood drive.  This year I made a pit stop on the way to the ferry to give blood.  Despite the horrifically large needle, it felt good to give blood.

So, basically I scored a 50% on goal accomplishing.


Now it's time to look forward to 2014.  I have a few new goals, but I would also like to repeat the goals where I didn't quite make it.


2014 Goals:  
1.  Cook more and eat locally, sourcing food from local farmer's markets.
2.  Read 20 books
3.  Run a 1/2 marathon
4.  Blog at least 5 times per month
5.  Juice

2 comments:

  1. I say you did more than 50%! Surely travel to New Zealand is weighted more heavily. Good book to read this year: The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

    ReplyDelete
  2. You get a pass on your "summer slacking" of reading books: YOU PLANNED A WEDDING!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete