Monday, December 17, 2012

us


I’m such an urbanite.  I love to be in the city.  I love the hustle, the flow, the hubbub, the noise.  I love to spend the weekends in the city, walking the streets, watching the people, eating the food, sipping the coffee; taking advantage of all it has to offer. 


My husband could not be more different.  Although he enjoys living in the city, there is nothing he enjoys more than leaving the city.  He loves open spaces, green vistas, stretching blue water, single track trails, and soaring raptors.  He loves the serenity of nature, the absence of people and noise, and the simplicity of being outside. 


We seem like an unlikely couple, but it works.  He encourages me to explore the green spaces of the Bay Area, and I encourage him to slow down and explore the city in which we live.  It sometimes amazes me that after seven years, he becomes lost in San Francisco, or doesn’t know about popular restaurants and destinations.  I’m sure that my ignorance on running trails and local parks likewise baffles him.  We educate each other and make each other more well-rounded.  


Ryan works for a local environmental non-profit.  He tries to live a green life.  He reuses, refuses, recycles, composts, and above all, bikes. 

Before meeting Ryan, I also lived a green life, but rather than biking, I drove.  This has been the biggest change for me.  After dating Ryan for one year, I sold my car.  Biking in the city scared me, but here I was relying on my green Public bike to get me from point A to point B.  I work in Tiburon, and never thought not having a car was an option.  It’s incredible how easy it is to get all the way to Tiburon without four wheels.  Muni/ferry/walk or bike/ferry/bike.  Easy.  One year later, and I’m still enjoying my new way of life. 


Ryan and I are still figuring out how to successfully blend our lives, and live large in an expensive city on a small budget, all without a car.  It’s tricky, but it can be done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment