Monday, June 16, 2014

surprise! it's a secret island

Last week was my birthday, and to celebrate Ryan planned a surprise date. We hopped on our bikes and headed to, of all places, Fisherman's Wharf. I was convinced that he was taking me to Ripley's Believe It or Not. I would not have been disappointed. But, he had other plans. We queued up at a little pier next to the sea lions, boarded a small vessel, and made the 2 minute journey to Forbes Island. An island that after nearly a decade living in the city, somehow managed to evade my awareness.

Originally a bachelor pad in Sausalito, Forbes Island now houses the coziest restaurant I've ever set foot in. The kitsch factor is high. There is a lighthouse to climb, pirates to admire, and sailor paraphernalia is scattered throughout. The restaurant itself is slightly submerged in the Bay. Fish periodically swim past the cloudy windows, as you sway with the waves.

The wait staff were friendly, and even treated us to dessert and two bonus glasses of wine. We ended up closing down the restaurant and took the boat back with the staff.

Don't let the notion of Fisherman's Wharf scare you away. Apparently they feed mostly locals, and I can see why. It's a weird, quirky place with delicious food.

 Ryan definitely wins the prize for most unexpected and surprising date night.















(Photo via Forbes Island Facebook Page)

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a lot of fun! Argh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love it! Looks like fun and good food! My favorite things! You lucky birthday girl!

    ReplyDelete