Wednesday, February 19, 2014

what's in a name?

Katrina Davis Photography

When I returned to work after my wedding, I reintroduced myself to my kindergarten class with my new moniker, Mrs. Branciforte. After fielding questions about my wedding, many of which were centered around whether or not I was also now a mom, I had one particularly interesting question. One insightful little kiddo asked, "did your husband change his name, or does he have a married name now too?"

In the months leading up to our wedding, many people asked me if I would be changing my name. As I answered in the affirmative, I felt like I immediately had to justify my decision as feminist judgment rained down.

I know that many women are bothered by this fact. Why should the woman alter her identity, go through the hassle of standing in line at Social Security and the DMV, change emails and banking information, update Netflix and Facebook? Although I can see both sides of the coin, I take a traditionalist stance on this particular issue. For me changing my name marked a new beginning and a new phase in my life. I wanted to have that unifying element with my husband, it makes me feel like we are truly a family. 

Also, my new initials are KGB.  Isn't that reason enough?

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Reason enough! And one more Branciforte is always good!

      Delete
  2. So excited to be married to Mrs. Branciforte!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everybody makes the right choice when she or he listen ultimately to what's in the heart. My wife took my name, and many of our friends keep both their names or hyphenate, some create new names, and we have friends where the husband took the wife's name. It seems most important not to tarnish someone else's happiness by judging that person's choice...!

    ReplyDelete