Tuesday, November 12, 2013

finding fall

I grew up in the Midwest and Eastern Washington.  For me, fall is crisp weather, colorful leaves, and cozy sweaters.  Living in California means that I have to adjust this vision of fall.  Pumpkin patch visits mean sun dresses, not scarves and jackets.  This is a hard concept for me to wrap my brain around.  You would think after eight Bay Area autumns I would have this lack of seasonal change down, but I don't.  This time of year, I long to return to the Pacific Northwest, where my rain boots and layers are put to good use.

Seattle

A few weeks ago, I headed up to Seattle for my friend Margaret's bachelorette party.  It's not often that I visit the Northwest in the fall, and I was treated to the perfect weather.  Brisk air, puffy clouds, and fall leaves swirling in the air.  But, rather than satisfy my itch, it made me long for seasonal change even more.  

In San Francisco, the leaves either simply dry up and fall off the trees, or stay green year round.  When leaves actually do change colors, it is something truly worthy of documentation.  

Ginko leaves turn yellow

Often times, fall just jumps out of no where.  Walking down the street on a sunny, seventy degree day, you may turn the corner and suddenly find fall.

San Francisco
Are there places in the Bay Area where autumn exists?  Where do you go to find fall?

3 comments:

  1. You get to have 'fall' in August!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that would be Michigan for me right now. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm mostly on board with Kate here, though I don't mind the occasional sunny, warm days where I can be outside all day! I miss the cold, snowy Sundays where I can justify watching football all day. And I do miss the leaves and the snow, but then again we go to Tahoe for snow and visit our families for T-Giving to get our Fall fix.

    ReplyDelete