Saturday, October 19, 2013

street scores

Lately, Ryan and I have been quite lucky in the realm of street scores. 

Let me explain.  In San Francisco, and I'm sure all cities, people just throw their unwanted items on to the street, thus becoming someone else's problem.  More often than not, these items disappear quickly.  

Although I may be part of the problem, as I drag my ancient printer and broken down bookshelf to the street corner, I am also part of the solution.  

There are many levels of discarded treasures on the sidewalk.  Since garbage is usually the norm when it comes to free stuff, finding a gem is a true score.


Ryan is responsible for two of our major scores.  He has dragged home many an item that I have sent straight back to the street, but every once and awhile, something gets to stay.  Recently, he brought home a mirror.  It looks like one of those mirrors that used to be a window, it's not in great condition, but that just adds to the charm.  The mirror was accompanied by a game of Jenga and a black rolling suitcase.  All from the couple up the street.  Not a bad haul.  



One of these days I'll finally get around to hanging the mirror above our kitchen table.

Before we met, he had another major score: a great vintage cabinet, which is now home to our TV.  To make it feel more like ours, I switched out all the knobs with some Anthropologie hardware.  



I keep toying with the idea of a new paint job, but can't quite decide what color.  I kind of dig the dresser update on Cape 27.  

Cape 27

And last, but certainly not least, the most epic street score of all time:  the globe.

During my summer vacation, I was headed out to grab a morning coffee.  As soon as I opened our front door, there it was.  Sitting right on our stoop, a globe.  In disbelief that someone would part with such a precious item, I looked up and down the street for the rightful owner.  When no one presented themselves, I scooped up the globe, took it upstairs, and quickly started the disinfecting process.  I rearranged our mantel and placed the globe in the place of honor.  



Then the true test, does the globe still illuminate?  


Why yes, yes it does.  Not sure if I'll ever top that street score, but I definitely have my eyes peeled.  

No comments:

Post a Comment