Tuesday, January 29, 2013

gas


The other day, I saw this image on a friend's Facebook page.  I've been thinking about it ever since.  While I didn't pay too much attention to gas prices when I had a car, I mean I had to get gas so what did it matter what it cost, I was surprised to see that prices were so low, so recently.  (I also realize this is anti-Obama propaganda.)

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to believe that it's a good thing that gas prices have sky rocketed.  True, I wanted to vomit when I saw how much we were spending on gas on our recent trip to Downiville, but won't high gas prices encourage people to use other forms of transportation?

Like this:


This:


And better yet, this:


I know that here, in San Francisco, public transportation ridership is at an all time high.  This must be related to inflated gas prices.  So, again, I ask, why is this such a bad thing?  I also know that not everyone lives where it is so easy to rely on alternative modes of transportation, but maybe the cost of gas will cause people to be more thoughtful about when and where they drive, and more efficient in their errands.  

I also know that higher gas prices means higher prices for goods and foods.  But, isn't this a price I'm willing to pay?  Wouldn't I rather have higher prices for gas, food, and goods in order to ensure that we are caring for our planet and striving to clean-up our environment for future generations.  Isn't a healthy home the ultimate goal?  

When all other arguments fail, just think of the polar bears.


No comments:

Post a Comment